Evgeniya A. Pesina, Institute for Research on Social Phenomena, Samara, Russia
Pesina, Evgeniya A. (2016) ‘Research of Giftedness as a Social Problem’, Social Phenomena. 2016 3(6), pp. 17-22 (in Russian).
The article represents an unusual point of view on the issues of giftedness. The increasing tendency towards the study of giftedness is interpreted as a sign of the formation of a new type of social inequality. The paper offers a classification of modern approaches to giftedness and emphasizes the need to develop a new social approach to giftedness. It is noted that the study of giftedness as a social phenomenon may help to understand the nature of giftedness and to overcome the emergence phantoms of giftedness. Special attention is paid to the issues of the phantoms and its influence on the search of gifted people and development of their talents. In the second part of the article giftedness is viewed through the prism of social inequality. The paper analyses Göran Therborn’s mechanisms of reproduction of inequality. It is argued that modern concepts of giftedness and ways of its development have negative consequences and may provoke the emergence of social inequality.
Keywords: giftedness as social phenomenon, phantoms of giftedness, social inequality, theory of Göran Therborn.Открыть на весь экран
- Borisova, Svetlana P. (2011) ‘Socio-pedagogical Support of Gifted Children’, Gifted Children: Problems, Prospects, Development: Materials of Scientific-Practical Conference, APPO, St. Petersburg, pp. 449-454 (in Russian).
- Vygotsky, Lev S. (1983) ‘The fundamentals of Defectology‘, Collected works in 6 volumes. Volume 5, Vlasova, Taniana A. «ed.», Pedagogica, Moscow (in Russian).
- Hegel G. V. F. (1970)  Science of logic, Rosenthal, Mark M. (ed.), Mysl, Moscow (in Russian).
- Kotlova, Svetlana Yu., Tunik, Elena E. (2011) ‘The Research of the Conformity Level of Intellectually Gifted Adolescents’, Gifted Children: Problems, Prospects, Development: Materials of Scientific-Practical Conference, APPO, St. Petersburg, pp. 302-308 (in Russian).
- Marx, Karl (1983)  ‘Inaugural Address of the International Working Men’s Association’, K. Marx and F. Engels: Collected works in 3 volumes. Volume 2, Politizdat, Moscow, pp. 5-13 (in Russian).
- Melik-Pashaev, Aleksandr A. (2014) ‘Giftedness: Creativity and Norm of Developme’, Giftedness in the Context of Sustainable Development of Nature and Society, Nayanova, Marina V. (ed.), Ofort, Samara, pp. 69-79 (in Russian).
- Matyushkin, Aleksey M. (1989) ‘The Concept of Gifted Creativity’, Voprosy Psykhologii, 6, pp. 29-33, Retrieved from: http://www.voppsy.ru/issues/1989/896/896029.htm (in Russian).
- Mironova, Anna M. (2012) ‘Different Approaches to the Concept of “Giftedness”‘, Pedagogy: Traditions and Innovations: Materials of the II Intern. scientific. Conf. (Chelyabinsk, October 2012), Dva Komsomoltsa, Chelyabinsk, pp. 20-22 (in Russian).
- Gudzovskaya, Alla A., Pesina, Evgeniya A., Proskurina Anna A., Chernoivanenko Yu. O. (2016) Giftedness and Education, Nechaev, Aleksey V. (ed.), GBOUVOSO “Samarskaya gosudarstvennaya akademiya (Nayanovoy)”, Samara (in Russian).
- Bogoyavlenskaya, Genrietta E., Shadrikov, Vladimir D., Kholodnaya, Marina A. and Coauthors (2003) The Working Concept of Giftedness, Moscow (in Russian).
- Rubinstein, Sergey L. (1998)  Fundamentals of General psychology, Peter Kom, St. Petersburg.
- Sinkevich, Irina A. (2011) ‘Psychological and Pedagogical Approach to the Development of Gifted Children in the Education System’, Gifted Children: Problems, Prospects, Development: Materials of Scientific-Practical Conference, APPO, St. Petersburg, pp. 154-164 (in Russian).
- Teplov, Boris M. (1961) Problem of Individual Differences: Selected Works, Izd-vo Akad. ped. nauk RSFSR, Moscow (in Russian).
- Therborn, Göran (2012) ‘The killing fields of inequality’, International Journal of Health Services, 42(4), pp. 579-589.
- Therborn, Göran (2006) Inequalities of the World: New Theoretical Frameworks, Multiple Empirical Approaches, Verso, London.